Monday, December 29, 2008

Gorgeous Yummy Granola


I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! We enjoyed Steve's homemade apple pie as usual, complete with a birthday candle and the singing of 'Happy Birthday Jesus', followed by the reading of Luke 2. It is always a very special morning with our immediate family and my dear Mother-in-Law, who sacrifices sweet sleep to drive to our place very early every year. Later on, we all trek over to my parents' home to join my parents, my siblings and their spouses for some extended family time.

On Boxing Day, I made some granola from a recipe that my dear friend, Elisa, made for the craft exchange I participated in in November. We are big granola lovers in our home. Many recipes are very similar, but this one was just different enough that I thought it was worth sharing with you. I only very rarely buy cold cereal, as it is way too processed for my liking, but I love the convenience. Granola that has been made ahead is just as convenient, much tastier and very healthy.

Molasses Maple Nutty Granola
(from If Kallimos had a Chef ~~ Debra Stark)

1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup canola oil

4 tsp cinnamon
6 cups oats
1 cup walnut halves
2 cups pecan halves
2 cups pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
(I have also added sesame seeds)

Preheat oven 300 degrees.

Combine wet ingredients. Combine dry ingredients. Pour wet over dry and mix well. Divide granola between shallow baking pans and bake in a 300 degree oven until roasted and dry, about 1 1/2 hrs. Stir every 15-30 mins. (Mine was ready after about 45 mins.)

Let granola cool completely before storing in air tight containers.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. We love granola with farm fresh milk and home canned fruit. The only easier breakfast to make in the morning is 'geturoni', which is another one of my favourites. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment